It's the second week of our Sunburst/Starburst Challenge at the Christmas Card Throwdown.
I mentioned last week that I wanted to try a different technique that generated less waste. I got the idea from this youtube video. I started these on Wednesday, but a continuing horrible cold and Bethany being under the weather mean I've only just got finished!
This approach relies more on measuring and planning. I used a base of 16.9cm by 11.8cm, to go on a 5x7 card base, then a template of 14.9cm by 9.8cm for the burst. I cut four papers to size for the burst, as well as a copier paper template. On the template, pick a centre point, then draw 12 lines out from this, to create your burst.
I did do a dry run of this with just copier paper, and found that you need to have the same number of lines ending on each side for the spacing to work - you can see where I've altered the pattern below.
Put the papers in the order you want to use them, then put the template on top and clip together.
And cut along your lines. I used scissors, I'm not good with a knife freehand, and the clips make a ruler difficult to use.
When you have your 12 shapes, lay them out and remove the clips. Discard the template. Then go round the circle, leaving the first section as it is, then on the next moving one piece from the top to the bottom of the pile, two pieces on the next, and three on the next. Repeat all round the circle. This means that you can easily make your four bursts without ending up with the same pattern next to itself.
I cut my base pieces from 4 different red papers. On the first, I took the top piece from each pile and glued it onto place, using a glue pen. I found it easiest to start with the corner pieces, then fit the others in-between. For this style, I left a gap between the pieces, rather than butting them up against each other like last week.
Then repeat with the next base and the next layer from the piles.
So here are my four burst backgrounds, with no waste!
For toppers, I went super simple! I had a set of pictures that I'd cut up from a design paper last year. I chose four, and mounted them on the off cuts from cutting the bases. I edged each with aged mahogany distress ink, and with Crafters Companion clear overlay sparkle pen. This is a new purchase, I'm very pleased with it!
The backgrounds went onto the card bases using a tape pen, and I used foam pads for the toppers.
A simple way to make four variations of a card, quickly and easily.
To join in with the challenge, visit the Christmas Card Throwdown, you have until this Friday, 3rd March, midnight GMT.