Pages

Friday 4 March 2016

The one that got away

Stencilled Christmas card, purple and orange with Merry Christmas sentiment

The 52 Christmas Card Throwdown this week is about stencilling. I've used stencilling for the last two weeks, so I'm on a roll for this one.

52CCT technique challenge - stencilling


I don't have a lot of time this week, and have birthday cards, new baby cards and a mother's day card to make as well, so this one needed to be quick and simple. Which it is, but didn't turn out quite as planned, it got away from me a bit. I think it's the least Christmassy looking Christmas card I've ever made!

I started with 7x7 Clarity stencil card, and the Vintage Label stencil from That Special Touch. I used a little bit of a repositionable tape pen to hold the stencil in the middle of the card. With Clarity stencil brushes, I added ripe persimmon distress ink to one side, and dusty concord to the other, blending where they met.

Purple and orange background with stencilled frame

The plan had been to add tumbled glass snowflakes in the middle, but I decide that would be too much, so went with the same colours, dry brushing for a subtle look. The stencil is Snow Flurry by That Special Touch.

Purple and orange background with frame and snowflake stencil being added
Purple and orange stencilled background with frame and snowflakes


I raided my stash of bits and bobs I've already made and found this Merry Christmas die cut, in Centura Pearl hint of gold.

Merry Christmas die cut sentiment in white

A really useful die! But it disappears a bit in white, so I take another piece of the Centura Pearl card and add the same distress inks. I started with the brushes again, then used the blending tool to get a deeper colour.

Purple and orange coloured card

I cut it with the same die, across the blend on colour.

Purple and orange die cut Merry Christmas sentiment

The idea is to use this on top, with the white one as a drop shadow.

I also kept the negative piece, and all the bits from the middle of the die, to try to make another topper.

Purple and orange negative from die cut Merry Christmas sentiment

We'll see if I can not lose them all, and stick them down in the right place so it's legible.

So I have all the bits now. I trimmed the background down, and brushed the edges so they weren't bright white. Stick the sentiment down (both layers), and mount on a 7x7 white card. Simple. Not even foam tape on this one, very postage friendly!

(A confession - I don't have 7x7 cards, and didn't want to cut an 8x8 down, so it's just mounted on a piece of card for the photos, with removable tape, until I can get the right card bases.)

Stencilled Christmas card, purple and orange with Merry Christmas sentiment

Stencilled Christmas card, purple and orange with Merry Christmas sentiment

Stencilled Christmas card, purple and orange with Merry Christmas sentiment











8 comments:

  1. superbe création Lucinda, les couleurs douces et non traditionnelles sont très belles, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely colours, Lucinda and a stunning design. Thanks for joining us at 52CCT, April x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April, the stencil is gorgeous which does a lot of the work!

      Delete
  3. wow this is really lovely! I love it:)
    Thanks for joining at 52CCT! :) Kaja

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous. I love the colours you've used and the subtle snowflakes behind the sentiment look super. Thanks so much for playing along with our stencilling challenge at 52CCT. Deborah, DT. BTW - thanks for sharing the process too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. My non-Christmassy colours seem to have gone down well - maybe I need to be more open minded!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you, and try to respond to every one.

Lucinda